As the East Coast gets hit with a bomb cyclone – or as we like to call it here at DigitOil, winter – it’s important to keep safe. Here are some tips to make sure your home and family are safe and warm during the cold.
- Clear any snow around outside vents or appliances. Blocked vents can cause carbon monoxide to build-up into the home.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning is most prevalent during cold months due to blocked vents. Symptoms include headache, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness.
- Shovel a path to your gas meter so that personnel may access the meter at anytime.
- Turn off heaters, electric blankets, and extinguish the fireplace before leaving a room.
- Keep space heaters on level ground and away from flammable objects, especially fabrics such as curtains, bedding, and rugs.
- Remove snow and ice from outdoor pipes gently, preferably with a brush. Do not kick or hit the pipes with a hard object such as a hammer.
- Do not use gas grill or stove inside your home, even if electricity to your electric oven/stove goes out. Always use gas grills and stoves in an outdoor, open space.
- Know the emergency number of your gas provider and call immediately if you smell a bad odor, like rotten eggs.
- If you suspect a leak, leave the building and do not return until your provider assures you it is safe.
More tips can be found from websites from your gas providers. Here’s to starting off your 2018 safely!